One of the highlights of our Easter service for me this year was our acoustic set. “Set” is probably an overstatement; it was a single song. We did All Sons and Daughters’ Your Glory/Nothing But The Blood. As we were brainstorming the best way to do this, we hit on the idea of doing it sort of bluegrass style with the musicians clustered around a single microphone.
As we talked about it, we didn’t think we could pull that off, but I thought we could do two mic’s in front for the vocals and guitars. A small acoustic drum kit (kick, snare, hat) would be in a rolling platform we could bring in for that song. We would have the bass and cello players stay where they were, the keys player could play accordion from keys world. It sounded great in theory; but we’d never done anything like this before. So we thought we should test it.
Figure-Eight for the Win. Almost.
We own a pair of AKG C414 IIs. As multi-pattern mic’s, one of the options is figure-eight. I thought it would be cool to position the two guitar players facing each other on one mic, and the two vocals facing each other on the other. In our testing, it seemed to work OK. But when the rest of the band got there, it wasn’t happening. We muddled through rehearsal, but I don’t think anyone was really happy with the result.
I went home and thought about it for a while. A few days went by and I decided I would rather have the mic’s in a wide cardioid pattern with the two pairs facing the audience. I suggested this to Justin, our worship leader and he completely agreed.
Cardioid for the Win. Really.
This actually worked. As soon as we tried it out at Saturday’s rehearsal, we all knew it was the right call. The musicians felt better leaning in to the mic as they were leaning in towards the audience. My gain before feedback went up quite a bit, which made everything sound better. I was running both mic’s through the two channels of Portico 5045 (aka “The Magic Box”), which further helped clean them up. This was what we were going for.
The Rest of the Band
House left to right, we had the accordion played by our keys player. I decided to bring my Heil PR-40 in for this one. It sounded really good and required almost no EQ. So that was easy. Our cellist has a pickup in his cello, so again, easy. For the acoustic drum kit, our drummer brought in a small kick a snare and hat. I put a Beta 91 in the kick and stuck an old SM-81 on a boom stand for the rest. I wasn’t concerned about getting a huge drum sound, and he played with brushes. It was more of a vibe. Our bass player brought in his Hofner, which has a nice fat sound that stayed out of the way of the vocals.
Lighting Sets the Mood
As is the trend these days, we went with a tungsten look for this tune. My LD Thomas did a great job creating a simple look with the movers, and added some Parnells for up-lights at the feet of the four up front. In contrast to the rest of the music set which was full of color and movement, this song was pretty sparse and simple.
For many, this song was the highlight of the service. I thought it carried the most emotion and weight and felt really good. The only downside to this song is that I don’t feel the mix on video really captures what was happening in the room. Our broadcast mix is really dialed for the big songs and speaking; but I didn’t have time to get this dialed in as well as I hoped. Still, it’s not bad, and I’m including it here for you to see what we did.
Some of my friends (cough…Andrew Stone…cough) don’t like accordions and mandolins, but personally, I’d do this again in a heartbeat. It was a lot of fun.