This has been a really busy week. We’re in the home stretch of the kids and students wing remodel, with 9 days to open as I write this. I’ve been working pretty much non-stop (with the rest of my amazing team), so there hasn’t been a lot of time for posts. However, I thought I’d take you on a little pictorial journey of our little project. Details will be slim this time, but don’t worry, I’ll expand on much of this later. And if you have questions or want to know more about something, write it up in the comments. I’ll either answer there or write a post on it.
I designed 3 identical tech booths for the 3 big rooms. The deck is built from 2×8 framing and skinned with 3/4″ ACX plywood that is glued and screwed down. No squeeks, no creaks.
A lot of tech booths I see are framed with metal studs. I find them to be flimsy. We have one in our high school room, and it always feels like the door opening wall is going to fall off. Not so this one.
Most booths are skinned in drywall. This is more ACX plywood. I figured, it’s for a kids room, and kids are tough on things. This booth feels like it would survive a car impact. It will get filled, sanded and painted the color of the walls, but should hold up a lot better than the walls surrounding it.
One of the key features is the “drink resistant top.” Cutting the studs to 22.5° was easy. Making the top plates line up in the right plane was less so. This will be capped with some stained pine, which will be an even tougher compound miter to cut.
I can’t stand seeing cables laying all over tech booths; especially in kids rooms. We used inexpensive cable duct to tidy everything up. The cables run right from the access panel in the wall to the duct and to their final destination. Hopefully it will stay neat for a long time.
Just because it’s a kids room doesn’t mean the snakes shouldn’t look nice. We pulled individual lines of Gepco 61801 audio cable, then loomed them together with Techflex F6, followed by colored heat shrink on the last 18″ for easy identification. And each of the individual cable numbers are sealed on with clear shrink.
One of my favorite parts of this puzzle is the use of Gepco’s new RunOne cable. Combining power and two audio lines in a single jacket, we’re using it for the mains as well as monitor cables. We are placing PowerCons in a box below the patch panel, so it will be very easy to plug in and power a powered monitor speaker. More on this later.
Speaking of speakers, we’re using Yamaha’s new DXR10’s for mains. The Student Life room also gets a DXS15 sub. We flew the sub because right below this room is the kids room and we wanted to minimize sound transfer.
As you can see, it’s been a busy few weeks. We still have a ways to go, but we’re getting there. In future posts, I’ll talk more about our video and audio systems and touch on lighting (it’s pretty simple).